Saturday, February 12, 2011

Sweet potato quesadillas



These vegan quesadillas were inspired by a recipe from the cookbook "Veganomicon" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.  It is a fantastic cookbook with healthy, veggie-filled recipes for all occasions.  In their recipe, they recommended using yuca in the filling, but unfortunately couldn't find it so I improvised with a sweet potato and fingerlings I had on hand. 

I used a large sweet potato, a few small fingerling potatoes cut in pieces and boiled for 20 minutes. 

Then I sauteed diced onion, garlic, and diced red pepper in a little oil and added spices such as cumin, salt, pepper, and a dash of cayenne.  

Mash the potatoes with a little Earth Balance vegan margarine, then add the cooked veggies.  I also had some red chard already cooked, so I added it to the mix as well.  (See my post about braised greens.)

Next, I lightly buttered the inside of a tortilla and spread the mashed-potato mix on one half. Fold the tortilla and butter the outside as well.  Place in a heated skillet and grill until brown on each side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment