Saturday, January 9, 2010

Saturday lunch: braised greens and quinoa

For lunch today I made braised greens, which I served with red quinoa, garbanzo beans, and tomatoes. I had the quinoa and garbanzo beans left over from the day before and it went great with the greens. Sometimes it's nice to make a little batch of quinoa or brown rice, and then just put it in the fridge to have around for a couple days. Rice and beans is one of my favorite things to take to work for lunch, and I love to try out different variations.

The greens were an organic mix that I picked up from the McCeldons Farm stand at the Scottsdale Farmers Market. I started with a little oil in the pan, and sauted the greens for a couple minutes.

Then, I added about a cup of vegetable stock and let simmer (covered) for 12 minutes or so.

I use a concentrated vegetable stock called "Better Than Bouillon"-- just mix a little in hot water and it's ready (it stores well in the freezer and lasts forever).

When they were nice and tender I just drained the greens and they were ready to serve.
Healthy! And tasted great too. (and notice the hummus at the top of the plate-- had to sneak it on there!)

No comments:

Post a Comment