Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Finally: Super Creamy Hummus



I got an awesome gift for Christmas from my parents: a pressure cooker! I'd been hearing that the best way to get hummus truly creamy (restaurant-style) is to first cook the beans yourself, and then remove the skins from each bean. Sounds like a lot of work, but I get a lot of satisfaction out of making amazing food for myself that tastes better than a restaurant. SO worth it! I have tried making my own hummus a million times with canned-beans, but it just wasn't cutting it. It doesn't give you that yummy creaminess like the kind you buy or get at a restaurant. Also, there is a huge difference in taste. I got some dried chickpeas from the Scottsdale Farmers Market on Saturday and they had so much more flavor than any canned beans i've ever had! Amazing! So now that I have a pressure cooker, I'm ready to see for myself if I can make the best hummus I've ever had.


If you don't have a pressure cooker, you can cook your own beans on the stove top. But they have to cook for 3 hours. Yeah.

I kept this batch very simple. Sometimes I like to add artichoke hearts/palm hearts, olives, roasted red pepper, or spiciness. This time I just wanted some damn creamy hummus!

*Disclaimer: I'm not big on exact measurements when it comes to things like dips and sauces. And pretty much everything else. But I'll try. Feel free to adjust any recipes as you see fit!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups garbanzo beans (cooked amount)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/4 cup tahini
3 tbsp Olive oil

To cook beans on the stove-top: Soak them first, then cook for 3 hours on the stove. The water should be at least 1 cup beans/3 cups water.
To cook beans in a pressure cooker: Unsoaked beans' cook time is 32 minutes, plus about another half hour for the pressure to release naturally.
Ok fine, you can also just use canned beans. And it'll be decent. But I'm aiming for perfection here.

Next, rinse the beans under cold water and then take the skin off each individual bean. Yes, it takes some time. But it was kinda satisfying. I stopped when my fingers were really shriveled and that was about 1 1/2 cup of beans. But seriously, you have to skin the beans! Do it. So creamy.



Then, I load the skinless beans into my food processor and add the garic, salt, olive oil, and tahini. Let the food processor do its magic (about 30 seconds). And there you have it: awesomely creamy hummus. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment