Monday, January 11, 2010

Chickpea cutlets

This is a recipe that I love from the "Veganomicon" cookbook by Isa Moskowitz and Terry Romero. Great cookbook.


These chickpea cutlets have vital wheat gluten in them, so they have a stringy-chewy-meaty texture that I really enjoy. I made these on Thanksgiving and they were a big hit. I tried to follow the recipe closely to how it is in the book, but i'm not very good at that. So it's a bit different.

Ingredients:
1 cup cooked chickpeas

2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup break crumbs

1/4 cup water

2 tbsp soy sauce
2 cloves minced or grated garlic
dried thyme

smoked paprika

dried sage

olive oil for pan frying


(To make the bread crumbs, I just put a couple slices of sandwich bread in the food processor and pulse until crumby. No need to buy bread crumbs.)

First, mash the garbanzo beans and oil in a mixing bowl until there are no whole chickpeas left. (I got a little impatient and left some whole.... which is OK but they will fall off when you fry them. oops.) Then add the rest of the ingredients in the bowl and mix together. Knead the mixture for about 3 minutes and it will start to get stringy due to the wheat gluten.

Now you're ready for frying. Just put a little olive oil in the pan and form patties with the mixture. Make sure they're not too thick or the inside won't cook. Fry on each side for about 6 minutes-- not too high, because you don't want to burn your cutlets. When they are done, they should be pretty firm to the touch. Place cutlets on a paper towel to soak up excess oil while they cool.


Next time, I'm going to try baking them instead of frying. (20 minutes at 375 brushed with a little oil, then flip and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes until firm and golden-brown).

I must admit that my cutlets
look pretty "rustic"...... yeah the picture in the cookbook looks slightly better! Whatever, I'm not a professional and they taste great!

No comments:

Post a Comment