Sunday, January 24, 2010

Kimchi

This is a really easy recipe for kimchi. It is different from other types of kimchi that I have eaten before, but for how quick and simple it is, I really like it. Mark Bittman's cookbook "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian" really does live up to its title. I can always find a simple, delicious recipe for just about anything I feel like cooking up.


This time, I used savoy cabbage but you can use any type of cabbage for kimchi. I also just estimated on the other ingredients because I was making a small batch. Bittman uses green onions in his recipe, but I used a shallot instead because that's what I had.

Ingredients:
Cabbage separated into leaves
Coarse salt
Soy sauce
Minced garlic
Minced shallot/green onion
Red pepper flakes
Sugar

First, layer the cabbage leaves in a colander and sprinkle salt on each layer. Put a bowl under the colander to collect water. Place something on the cabbage to weigh it down so that any excess water drips out. Let it sit for a couple hours until the cabbage is wilted, then rinse thoroughly and chop the cabbage.

Make a sauce with the rest of the ingredients in a bowl. Then pour the sauce on the cabbage, mix it all together and it's ready to eat. Put it in a jar and it will keep in the fridge for up to a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment