Monday, October 3, 2011

Vegan Sausage, part I


I am on a quest for the perfect vegan sausage.  I just started working at a (non-veg) restaurant that specializes in hot dogs and sausages, so it's only fitting that I develop my own tasty sausage recipe. In my very first attempt at home-made sausage, I modified a recipe that I saw on two of my favorite vegan food blogs, Vegan Dad and Post Punk Kitchen. The awesome thing about this recipe is that you can make tons of texture variations and flavor combos. So here's my first attempt:  

Ingredients:
1/2 Cup pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
1 Cup cold vegetable broth
1 Tbl spoon olive oil
1 Tbl spoon soy sauce
1 Tbl spoon vegan worcestershire sauce
2 Cloves garlic grated with a microplane
1 Cup vital wheat gluten
1/2 Cup soy flour
Spices: nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, cumin, red pepper flakes, ground pepper, salt

First, prepare the steamer and get water boiling.  Also prepare 6 sheets of tin foil before getting started with the dough.



Mash the pinto beans in a large bowl until no whole beans are left.  Then add each ingredient as it's listed above and mix with a fork.  When everything is mixed, separate the dough into six equal parts.  Shape it onto the foil, and then just roll it up like a tootsie roll. Then twist both ends.  It's really easy!  Place foil dogs in the steamer and steam for 40 minutes.



When they are done, you can eat immediately, grill them, saute them, refrigerate, or freeze for later.  I am very pleased at the results!  Now I'm still on a mission to try all the variations I can and perfect my recipe.  Next time I might use a different type of bean and change up the spices.  I'm also brainstorming on the best toppings and bun.  To be continued....




No comments:

Post a Comment